Mommy blogger

Friday, June 24, 2005

Advantage Agassi

It was 8:00 pm , and the road side restaurant telly was playing the re run of the Wimbledon round 2. Much water had flown , ever since I started following tennis. As I followed the match sitting alone, mulling over a cup of tea the past seemed to recoil in front of me. ( Yeah too much of tamil movies , I actually saw Tortoise mosquito repellent recoiling).

June ,1992 : It was the men's singles final of Wimbledon- a Sunday. So the family had gathered under the roof to watch the nail biting finish. Center court matches were always exhausting, but this was a fight to tooth and nail. Andre Agassi Vs Goran Ivansevic

I had just finished explaining the concept of deuce and advantage to my mother who brought in a plate of "Steaming Onion Pakodas".

Score:

6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 1-6,

Final set 2-2

Game 30-40, Goran Serving.An ace, and the score moved up to Deuce.
English weather was at its June best and the American sweat down through his ponytail.

Another ace.

Agassi needed help in wiping the beads of water trickling down. He handed over the towel to the petite ball girl on base line. A lil to the left , he snickered showing his white left bag to the already pink amateur.

My mother after deliberation declared- " It is now advantage Goran , right ?? ?"
" No," replied my brother, without batting an eye lid.
" Why??" my mother went through right from love all to deuce and ace.
My brother's eye twinkled, " Amma, look at the screen, It is definitely Advantage Agassi!!!"

Needless to say , Agassi went on to win his first Grand slam and only Wimbledon. The score tallied at 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4.

Wimbledon 1992- truly advantage Agassi.